Thursday, April 27, 2006

History of the "Global Wave of Meditation"

Meditation for Hiroshima
In the 70's there were various types of "global meditation" all over the world. One of the first people to talk about simultaneous meditation was Maharishi Mahesh Yogui; his followers even carried out scientific investigations about the supposed influences this "meditation" had on world events.
A the same time, pacifists performed global meditation on events such as the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing.
One one occasion, at the start of the 80's, I went to such an event in a plaza in Buenos Aires, where there were hundreds of people sitting on the grass. At the exact time at which the bomb had exploded, all of us remained in silence; this was also happening in many other parts of the world. Immediately I perceived that an energy change had occurred; it was intense and - for me - obvious, but it's hard to say if everyone felt it in the same way. This was my first encounter with the effects that, in spite of distance, many energetically united minds can cause.




The dream
Years later I had this dream during a short nap:
I was talking to Maharishi about this simultaneous meditation that he had been advocating. Then I look at a watch that I had on, with a black background and glowing yellow numbers. When I look carefully, I see that the watch face is actually a night-vision satellite of the eastern-central zone of the United States, like a kind of map. Every small light was a large city on the black background, just like in satellite photographs. I wound the watch and the map moved. Then Maharishi told me something about how at that moment, everyone was simultaneously meditating. So I close my eyes and start to meditate as well, but in a different way than the famous "Transcendental Meditation": I began to observe my own mind while I was dreaming - something directly related to Krishnamurti's teachings, and I awoke in that state. This dream had an impact on me, and immediately the idea of global simultaneous meditation came to my mind. After many years this project was still just floating around inside me, and sometimes I tried to get my friends excited about it, but I wasn't very clear on the idea. I should clarify that neither Maharishi or his so-called "Transcendental Meditation" ever appealed to me. On the other hand, the idea of simultaneous global meditation always attracted me, but putting it in place in the 80's was another thing, and everything remained reduced to the effects I felt from a cyclical practice of Yoga and meditation related to cosmic cycles, different schedules, etc.
This dream would show it's predictive nature as time went on.

Note: more than 20 years after my dream, in 2006-01-08, the first pages about the Wave of Global Meditation were translated by Michelle Welchons, who lives in North Carolina. This state was (casually?) included in the map of my dream.



The Internet
The arrival of the Internet would change things.
Suddenly, it was very easy to make activities such as this known globally, and I made some web pages about the topic. I thought carefully about which would be the best hours and frequencies, which things could and couldn't be done, and little by little a few people started to take interest. A small forest in San Marcos Sierra, Cordoba, became the first "place of energetic radiation" (a place where one regularly meditates, and, due to this, the place acquires a unique energy charge). I could personally confirm the enormous potential benefit of regular global meditation for myself and for Nature - something that everyone should experience for themselves. Nonetheless, I went on with my life without giving the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States the attention they deserved.
September 2001 As “chance” would have it, I found myself writing an article about the conflicting teachings of Islam when I heard on the radio that "a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers in New York."
All of us remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard that news. When everything was over, I returned to the computer and sent an invitation for a special global meditation for the following Sunday, September 16, at one of the regular times of The Wave. This event would become crucial, as during the half hour of meditation between 18:00 and 18:30 GMT, an intense energy could be felt simultaneously by different people in various places.

For about 15 minutes, we who were meditating experienced this force, and were absolutely certain that this practice should be diffused, as it is transcendent, lacking any objections, and is one of the things that right now humanity and Nature need the most.

No comments: